Re: NB Win availability

Harry Binswanger wrote, commenting on this excerpt from a prior post:

> >Micros**t did its sneaky little trick of going into my computer at
> >night and changing the settings around. This morning I booted up to
> >find that my screen resolution had changed. I am praying that Judge
> >Jackson gives them the maximum sentence.

I believe this problem may be due to the registry having gotten screwed up. That
can be caused, or so I understand, by normal wear and tear (tare?). It can also
be caused by having had to leave the system abruptly w/o properly shutting down.
So: when the computer boots up again it returns to what Microsoft thinks your
defaults are. Or something like that. Whatever.

> I know the feeling. But calling the police power of the state on them is not
> just.

Hardly. Righting one wrong with another never works.

> Bad programming is not a crime (nor is it what they're being tried
> for).

No, but it ought to be actionable, don't you think? I mean, my dentist had to
replace his entire dental program because the developer wouldn't guarantee that
it was Y2K compatible and would sell only a new version, and provided no
patches. He was so angry he changed programs, even though it cost him more to do
that.

> The question is: which OS's are good for Xy. I'm even thinking of
> going Apple. Does anyone on the list use Apple with its DOS emulator?

I believe, from a question he asked several weeks ago, Rene is.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)