Re: #3 in Guardian Tech today, bare metal editors over Microsoft Word

Thanks for this link, Daniel. "Winning the war on Word" alliterates
nicely, but sounds wildly wishful to me. Word certainly still dominates
the legal world, in which I operate. Electronic filing has become close
to universal in federal and state courts, and in that sphere the PDF
reigns supreme, but when the document being filed is to be edited by
the court (for example, a proposed order), a growing number of judges
require the document to be in a word-processing format -- and the
format they want is no longer WordPerfect, it's Word. And things like
draft agreements fly back and forth by email, again always in Word. For
myself, I'm happy enough to use Word to churn out workaday stuff, but
when deeper thought is required, Xy4 running in a clean, borderless
vDosPlus window is still king. I can't help feeling a bit smug when I
see writers casting around for a way to rebel against Microsoft,
knowing as we do that the solution (or a range of allied solutions)
never left the building. I love Ernie Smith's concept of "bare metal
writing", and Xy-DOS certain fits the bill.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx

Daniel Say  Sun, 28 Oct 2018 13:39:46 -0700: