Re: do Win95 programs?

TBaehr@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Jeff (peregrine@xxxxxxxx) doesn't think you can run Win progs from the Xy
> command line. As I said in my previous post, it's possible and sometimes
> desirable. It doesn't matter whether Xy is full-window or not, as long as
> it's running in a "DOS box" and not dedicated, non-windows DOS.
>
> Try it, Jeff: from the command line in XyDOS, type "do calc" (without the
> quotes). You'll get the Win calculator overlaid on the DOS-boxed Xy, or Xy
> in
> full screen will be minimized and the calculator will show up over your
> Windows display.

Well, this is the tastiest humble pie I've ever had, and yet another reason
for joining this list.

I must confess, though I've used XyWrite since 1986 or so, I have been
compelled as a reporter/editor to use it mostly for quick-and-dirty word
processing (at which it excels). As I have continued to learn bit by bit
about advanced features of XyWrite, I have been amazed. I'm amazed again, and
can't wait to get at some of the other XPL functions you and others have
developed. I'll probably have questions on the list before long about some of
that. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for some great pointers!

Jeff