Re: NB 8 (Trial version)

Robert Holmgren wrote:

I'm thinking to identify the few useful routines in all these AUX files,
simplify the XPL, focus especially on the VBX (Visual Basic) routines (which
can't be debugged), and boil all this down to one single, fast AUX file. Later. Sometime, hopefully, before the Messiah comes.
Great idea! The NB documentation, as far as I know, is pathetic too. We
would need a "Customization Guide" like the XyWrite's one.
I am working now with STACK to get it installed...

There's really no work to be done. Just add that one tiny frame from Xy4 DLG
to NB.DLG (which I've mentioned several times), and Stack away! Use XyWrite to
make the edit.
I am editing NB config files always in ansified XyWrite. I feel it's
more secure. And, of course, you're right: Stack works perfectly, after
following the steps described in Stack.doc. By the way: it works even
better under NB8. In XyWrite, after assigning "$E" to Enter, it's
impossible to use that key to activate buttons in the menus (when I use
them from time to time...). So I have the Intro standard value assigned
to Shift+Enter. No problem in NB8: "$E" works in the menus too.

Trust me: try your Xy4 KBD file. Just load it in NB.INI -- put a statement at
the beginning of the [Startup] stanza (and comment out their KBD load
statement, with a semi-colon). Do this **using XyWrite**, with NB *not
running*! NB reacts badly if you open NB.INI while NB is running.

Yes, it works.

I posted msgs as far back as 2+ years ago about how to create an NBSTART.PM,
which basically performs the function of STARTUP.INT in Xy4. Use that to
initialize Stack.
Now I am nearly off-line, having to use a modem connection to
communicate with the list (problems with my Internet provider). But I'll
study those posts as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, I am using this
line in NBSTART.INT to initialize Stack:
JM stack.intQ2 ;*;
Maybe it's better "2.stack.int"?
I'll continue to test.
By the way: is it possible to use with NB8 the great collection of IBM Lexam dictionaries you made available to us?
Thank you very much again.
Manuel Castelao