extra keystrokes

Please pardon if this topic's already been discussed. If so, let me know
and I'll search the archives.

I loaded xy3+ under Windows 95 on a new (to me) Compaq at work. Certain
commands, when I'm in Xywrite, now require extra keyboard strokes in order
to execute. e.g., hitting F5 doesn't immediately take me to the command
line; I have to hit another key before the command executes (any key,
apparently). Also--my save/gets are acting the same way; they don't
execute until I hit one more random key. This state of affairs has given
my xy-work a stuttering, hesitant quality that's no fun at all. Any ideas?
[note: xy3 runs fine under Win95 at home on a different computer, although
printing's very hit and miss.] Thanks for any help.