4.016

Here are some of the shortcomings I found in installing the upgrade to XyWrite
4.016. 1. No file was included that specifies the changes from prior releases.
2. The installation program is not setup for updates, but only for a
  full installation or individual files. Since I had no way of knowing
  which files (beyond EDITOR.EXE) were updated, it was prudent to go
  for full install and cull later. 3. The procedure described above could
cause a user a great deal of grief
  if he or she failed to backup critical configuration files, e.g.
startup.int and settings.dfl. No warnings are posted. No "sniffer" says
  do you want to overwrite? This is now fairly standard procedure in the
  industry. 4. There is no readme list of the included files, what each one
does and
  which can safely be deleted. Someone who has been working with  XyWrite
for 10 years can figure it out; others are out of luck. 5. The install program
erroneously told me I had fewer than 28 files  running. (I have 80.) 6. The
install program at one point fails to load from A:. However, if
  a user ignores the failure, it keeps on loading. 7. Finally, and more
generally, the install program has not been improved
  since I beta tested the original product and pointed out many of its
  (continuing) flaws. You have a devoted following for a superior word
  processor, even in circa 1995. But, corporately, TTG is pushing its
  luck by not dealing with these and many other problems.
- Andy