Re: XY and on-line sessions

> Recommended: get a second hard-drive for backup.
> Prices are probably cheaper
> for a 1 gig harddrive than for a 1 gig tape drive.

Second the motion. In fact,, if you upgrade from IDE to SCSI, that's
the best use to make of your old IDE drive, as a backup device.

"But," you say, "if I have both an IDE and a SCSI drive in my PC,
don't I have to boot OS/2 off the IDE drive -- thereby losing the
speed advantage of SCSI?" The answer is, "no." It is an un- (or
scarcely-) documented feature of OS/2 that you may bypass the IDE-boot
default in the system BIOS and yet still use your IDE drives, the
logical partitions on which (you MAY NOT place primary partitions on
IDE drives used in such a manner) will be assigned drive letters after
the SCSI drive letters. I hesitate to bring this up since as I say,
it is not documented -- and please don't come after me when you try it
and your WPS gets trashed or something because you managed to boot off
your IDE when you didn't think you had to, etc -- but the way to do it
is simply to set the IDE disk options in the system bios to "not
installed." OS/2 will do the rest.

Again, I emphasize "don't try this at home," at least not based on
what I am saying about it -- consult docs, bbses, etc. I will say
that I have five partitions, C,D,E, F, and G on my SCSI drive (I chose
the wrong number, -- it chose me but that's another story) and two
more on my old Quantum IDE drive (H,I). I've been running it this way
for three months without a problem.

  Rafe T.
  Readme @http://www.quicklink.com/~rtenn