Re: available memory

Caballero wrote:
It's almost impossible to get rid of that "X," which means that XY has created temporary overflow files. It's a flaw in the program, but according to the most expert users, not a fatal one or one worth worrying about.
Right. It's there, but it normally has no effect. Once in a blue
moon one will get the message that there is not enough room on d:
(d: being the drive where editor.exe's directory is located), and
one needs to "free space" on it. (This is, I think, an artifact
of DOS apps running under 32-bit Windows, because dBase 5 for DOS
also occasionally generates it.) It is, of course, balderdash:
there's tons of room on D:, but just possibly there may be more
files than an old DOS limitation on the number of files in a
directory. I always mean to check that when it happens, and never do.
There is an important function call (if that's not the wrong category) that returns memory usage for XY4,
I suspect you mean the U2 routine Table Memory. Or Table
Variables, esp. the values displayed for $ME (available
memory), $M+ (Memory used by Xy), and $M+0 through +6, which
last, Save/Get memory, has been mentioned several times here when
debugging people's problems.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx