Re: Stack; Abnormal termination of MeNu frames; Escape key; Speedos

** Reply to message from "M.C."  on Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:26:00
+0100

> For the moment, no more problems. It was my fault, as expected.

Maybe, maybe not. By eliminating those two "extra" frames, you're back where
you started in terms of instability (specifically, out of memory) that can
accumulate bit by bit (or byte by byte) if a Stacking key is hit during MeNu
entry. I think you didn't do anything wrong, and actually I'd like to know
what the cause of the trouble was when those two frames were present (because I
have no trouble at all using RESUME with them in place). They work as designed
here -- but again, it's hard for me to give them a real-world workout since I
just never use the MeNus (except, occasionally, to find a wierd font -- I have
about forty Speedos).

I asked in what context you were using the Escape key because, in fact, in the
normal course of things, I can't think of any reason to use the Escape key! We
use it extensively in U2 as the standard method to Abort routines; but apart
from that... You certainly don't use it in normal writing. So I'm curious.

Apropos of nothing, it's interesting to me that the built-in XyQuest routines
appear to respond to an Escape _character_ (Ascii-27) or _function_ (ES),
whereas U2 doesn't care what's mapped to the key, it's just looking at the _key
number_ ("Esc"=1) of the last keypress. Their approach may well be the purist
approach, allowing you to map a capital Z or a Yen symbol to the Escape key, if
you wanted; but it sure is a PITA -- because if you don't feed those XyQuest
routines the exact character they're looking for (and it's gotta be the _first_
character too), they don't respond. Makes it very tough to program around, or
rather with, them.

Speaking of Speedos (abandonware), they don't all work with XyWrite, but I have
many many that do, about 39 or 40 more than the three that were bundled with
XyWrite. I don't recall where these come from, but if anybody wants them...
(I sent them to Brian months ago, along with LOTS of other stuff, very little
of which was posted -- although if he wants to assemble a file repository, then
that's the logical place for them). Here's the list:

Bundled with Xy4
----------------
COURIER10
DUTCH