Archive bit on directories

Robert Holmgren wrote on 26 Feb 2004:
> Once you unset the Archive bit [on a directory], it stays un-set.

I've recently switched from 98 to XP and have noticed that the archive
bits on some of my directories keep getting re-set. I've just diagnosed
the problem: xcopy between directories sets the archive bit on the
target directory (though xcopy for a specific file does not). Maybe
this is well known, though I couldn't find it in the archives. (I
regularly transfer files between two computers via a portable HD using

xcopy e:\xy c:\xy\ /M/Y/S
to get the files from the portable drive.)

It seems that another approach would be to leave the archive bit alone
and write substitutes for call and dir that first reset the archive bit
on the target directory, then do their stuff. I can't see anything like
that in U2. Has anyone tried something like that? (Using attrib to
reset the archive bit after an xcopy of course works fine, but is rather
slow when the number of subdirectories is large.)

Martin

--
Martin J. Osborne
Department of Economics