Re: email-style italics: MARKUP.PM

** Reply to message from Jon Pareles  on
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

Jon:

> Trying to input B=147 and E=148 (from the number keys) in
> MARKUP.DAT turned "quoted text" into 147quotedtext148 (in
> Wordpad). Perhaps I needed a carriage return or other character
> in MARKUP.DAT to do it that way?

You mean, you wrote those numbers *literally*?? Like, "147"?
No way! Gotta use the characters themselves!

Look in MARKUP.HLP (in latest ZIPfile just posted a few moments
ago) for correct 147/148 assignments -- COPY them directly into
MARKUP.DAT (don't use R1R4R7 etc for these characters).

If that doesn't display correctly in WordPad, then it's possible
that internally WP uses different characters. So send me
(privately), ZIPped up, a short WordPad file with just a line
giving several examples, like this:
 These are `examples' of `147' and `148' in WP.
replacing ` with 147 and ' with 148, of course. I can determine
what the characters actually are.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx