Re: OED

** Reply to message from "Michael Norman"
 on Sat, 2 Jul 2011 17:53:54 -0400

Michael, what you've "assumed" below is essentially what I
wrote, in different words. The only real assumption here is
that oed.exe is the sole container+installer of SecuROM. What I
know empirically is that if you launch with swhx.exe, SecuROM is
not installed. This is buttressed by other observations.
Consider the Screenweaver project on which this software is
based: the Screenweaver authors wrote VM boot loaders for Mac
and for Windows (but not, unfortunately, for Unix -- which
fatally flaws the choice of Screenweaver as the host of a
cross-platform OED). These two Screenweaver boot loaders, both
filenamed "swhx", are about the same size, just shy of 150Kb
each. Now, the Mac version of the OED has no protection (MANY
users confirm this fact), and it launches via an EXACT COPY
(byte-for-byte identical) of the Screenweaver boot loader,
simply renamed "oed". Whereas the Windows version of the OED
boot loader, oed.exe, is forty (40x) times larger than swhx.exe.
Otherwise the two OED VMs are pretty much the same (although NOT
identical -- you can't just move one VM transparently between
the two Mac<==>Windows platforms). Draw your own conclusions.

> Robert,
>
> On your OED site you wrote: "One glance at the OED4 directory structure
> reveals that it too is an ordinary haXe/Neko/Screenweaver app, built
> precisely on the SOED6 model and containing all required libraries.
> Therefore, you can launch the OED without SecuROM by starting it with the
> standard Screenweaver boot loader, swhx.exe (144Kb) instead of the
> SecuROM-encumbered oed.exe loader (5032Kb; 6736Kb in v4.0.0.3). swhx.exe is
> freely downloadable from haxe.org: extract swhx.exe from the "swhx/tools/"
> subdirectory of swhx-1,2,0.zip, locate that one file in the base directory
> of your OED4 installation (where app.n also resides), and then delete
> swhx-1,2,0.zip, which you no longer need."
>
> I'm making two assumptions from the above: 1. A fresh install of OED does
> not put SecuROM on your drive and it's installed only when you launch the
> program for the first time with OED.EXE. 2. If you follow the regular
> install instructions and launch with swhx.exe instead of oed.exe...and
> thereafter...you will not get either SecuRom or its registry entries?
>
> Michael Norman

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx