Re: Icons in taskbar OT

Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> But for TameXy, I get the custom Xy icon everywhere: quick launch, taskbar, title bar.

Ah, thanks Harry for jogging my memory in the right direction (I was
starting to doubt myself, always a worrying trend, especially as the end
of yet another year approaches). The time when I _did_ see the Xy icon
on the task bar was indeed when I was experimenting with TameDOS. I have
since completely discarded it (and good riddance). Tame does some
amazing things, but it's the most disorganized and badly supported
program I've seen in a while (the help link for the most recent version
still points to a completely outdated file on the web site), and it
strews its configuration files all over the place without rhyme or
reason. Fortunately, on the laptop I acquired recently, a Compaq/HP
nc6320 with Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and a lovely 15" SXGA screen,

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12428_div/12428_div.HTML

running XP Professional, there is no cursor jerkiness in DOS and
therefore I don't need Tame, which actually makes things worse, at least
with the default settings. (I was able to get my favorite full
complement of DOS colors by means of another program, a nifty piece of
freeware called Console Palette Changer.) Seeing the Xy icon on the
taskbar would be nice, especially since I sometimes run several Xy
iterations with different language setups at the same time, each with
its own icon, but it's not enough to entice me back to the TameDOS mess.
For now, I'll live with the DOS prompt icon for all of them, especially
since, as we have demonstrated, the title text can be customized.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx