Re: Windows at 30

Kari, re TrueType, it was capable of vastly better screen output than
ATM, Postscript, DisplayScript, and that was more true then than now
but it is still true. MS had anti-aliased greyscale bitmapped fonts
built into the tt scalable fonts that were way ahead of anything
Adobe could do, then or now. Of course, the amount of work involved
in creating such fonts was huge, much more than the average type
designer would have either the interest or the competence to do. I
only design PS fonts but I acknowledge that TT is the superior
format. High quality printing is another story completely. High
quality rasterization of TT had, astonishingly, not been demonstrated
even by 1997.

MS had the opportunity to embrace GX, the best of Apple's pre-OSX
technologies. If it had, we would have a lot more high quality
software on both platforms, since, shortly thereafter, Apple itself
ditched GX, partly under pressure of established developers (who then
went on, individually, to spend the next five years coding what was
available gratis in GX).