Tilde in file names; index problem

Robert, you're right about Program Files, but that's a peculiarity of
that particular directory, which Windows marks Read Only and flips some
other bit on, known only to Gates & Co. As I explained at some length a
week or so ago (see Digest of 3/15) I could do a directory of any other
folder with a tilde in the short name. But neither XyWrite for DOS nor
XyWin can read C:\PROGRA~1 correctly. If you type DIR c:\PROGRA~1 on the
command line, you get a "listing"--with no files listed. If you do DIR
C:\PROGRA~1\*.* or even C:\PROGRA~1\mqsa (mqsa being the full name of one
of my subfolders there), you get "File not found."
	But other directories (ones created by the user) with long file names,
whose DOS names contain tildes, can be read and listed correctly (unless
they have some other sticking point in them, like one of mine that has
an--erroneous; it was a typo--accent aigu in it), as I illustrated in the
rest of my posting in the digest for 3/18.
	Kerala, have you searched for any JZ (job end), PB (page begin), or PG
(page break) codes? Also check your printer and default files for the
Page Begin (PZ) and Page Break character (PX) strings and see if they're
in your file anywhere. NB and BB codes might also be culprits, as might
the EJ (eject last page) default setting. Also note that if you have a
running footer on an otherwise blank last page of a file, that page will
print with just the footer. As a last resort, try chain printing the
sequence of pages beginning with the last page before the problem
chapters though the first page after, and see if there is a blank page
coming out between one chapter and the next. I thought there was also a
way to specify that the first page of a chapter would always be an odd
page--which would, of course, force a blank page before it if the
previous chapter ended on an odd page--but I cannot find it in the
manuals. I suspect it's something like that that's causing the one page
discrepancy. And did you list all the files on one line (making them all
one set) or have carriage returns between them (making each a set in
itself)? The manual (Command Reference, 2-58) says a page break is
automatically inserted between sets.
Patricia