Re: Editing a 2GB+ file

** Reply to message from Jon Pareles  on
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 00:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

May I know the exact size of this file? What does a DOS DIR
command say?

We have a new feature called BigEdit, which has been working
smoothly and intensively for over two months. Our intention is
to introduce it with U2 v120, sometime next month probably.
BigEdit can edit files to 2048Mb (2Gb -- that's 2,147,483,647
bytes, or about 2000 times larger than War & Peace, and roughly
1000 times larger than the maximum filesize that XyWrite can
handle now). BigEdit runs in Xy4, and working with BigEdit
*feels* just like editing an ordinary text. It is super fast
and reliable.

We had an earlier version of BigEdit that handled files up to 63
Terabytes -- 63 trillion. I dumped it on grounds of overkill.
Now you're saying that you actually have a real need to edit a
*text* file over 2Gb?? (Even the Oxford English Dictionary, in
20 volumes plus numerous supplements, is waaay less than 1Gb!)
Are you absolutely sure this is a text, not binary, file?

What sort of "editing" do you intend to do? Depending on the
file system used on that partition, you may be limited to a max
file size of 2Gb... Won't editing mess up Eudora's index of
Emails you've received? I'd just be stunned if that file is
pure text...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx