Re: Printing Mystery

> "If you do NOT set IM=1, XyWrite will download the Bistream font to
> the printer and the characters will be *built* in memory."

Au Contraire. I've just run another test, and if I leave things as they are
(the defaults you suggest), I can carefully embed triangles (from the Typeface
menus) for a 24 pt. or a 30 pt. Headline -- in the Speedo font of my choice --
and what do I get? A printout in what looks to be 10 pt. Bold Courier. Every
time!

So, this reminds me of what I think I must have learned originally: that the
*only* way to get around this with an HP-LJ series II is via Image Mode
printing. Which really isn't all *that* much slower, anyway. And better a tad
slower than not to have use of the fonts!

> "The UO=1 is entered in the .PRN file because the HP4 & HP2 can
> accept downloaded "outline" fonts. There is actually no reason for
> you to set IM=1 in this case (unless I am missing something)."

Well, thanks for calling my attention to the UO=1 business. I next commented
out that line, turned on IM=1 (which this time was accepted), and in short
order proceeded to print out my 24 pt. Headline in Albertus, Clarendon_C, and
Calligraphic421 typefaces. (The latter is not supposed to be scaleable, if
that's what the absence of the up/down arrow notation means. Or maybe it's
just that you don't get a choice of Roman-8 vs. Legal, Desktop, etc. ?) Anyway,
I can use the Speedo-pak fonts again, so I'm pleased about that.