Re: Be not the last to set the old aside

>On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Leslie Bialler wrote:

>> A poster to the list confesses:
>>
>> > Me, I perversely persist in using GOfer.

During my one-day absence from this list, Dorothy Day and others have said
just about all I'd want to, but since A Poster (with Bill Stickers) happens
to be my own pseudonym, I'll risk your impatience and point out that in the
"confession" above--as always--I omitted the conventional "" or ":-)" or
similar.

And while I'm about it:

>The GOfer crankily retained by the earlier poster is an indexing and
>retrieval program for the contents of your entire hard drive, quite
>cheap and effective.

It is? I must RTFM some time. The way I use GOfer, it doesn't create an
index but instead looks for combinations of strings (e.g. "[string1 and
string2 and string3] within three lines of [string4 and string5]") in one
or more text files. It was originally marketed as a TSR. As a TSR, it
consumed a massive wodge of memory. Some bright chap came along with
SWAPGF, which reduced its memory requirements when not in use. SWAPGF was
incorporated within GOfer ver. 2, and the SWAP man made similar utilities
for various other programs. GOfer was produced by Microlytics, a name
familiar to many Xyistes. I have a hunch that the name on the Swap
Utilities was Nico Mak, but I could be wrong. Anyway, GOfer also works as
a resident program. It was very cheap and it remains very effective.

Peter Evans