Re: XyWin questions

On Thu, 29 Dec 1994 LESLIE319@xxxxxxxx said:
 >Unfortunately, the answer is no.
 Thanks. I was afraid of that, especially because it would have
been so easy for the programmers to do. (Colored text is built
into the program, but it's just not matched up to the modes.)
 >BTW: I'm just curious: Does the TIMES use XyWrite as a front
in for a page >layout program? At Columbia University Press, we
use Quark Express for the  >layout and proofs. We send the
files in Postscript format to our printer.

 The Times still uses a rather elderly Atex mainframe system for
writing and editing, although I believe the page layout system is
much more sophisticated. XyWrite is based on the Atex command
structure, but of course is much faster and has many more
features. Those of us who work in the paper's various bureaus
write stories using XyWrite, then send them to
Atex via a dialup line.

 -- David Firestone Metro reporter, The New York Times
fstone@xxxxxxxx 212-556-3674 or 718-268-4090