Search Problem

 I've been experiencing a problem for which I have no expanation. Can
someone out there help; the problem started occurring about a month
ago?
 I'm reading the contents of a file in XYwin (ver 4.17) and I want to
search for a string. I tap F5 to get the command line and type
"se/gr" (e.g. I want to search for the word "grave) and the
contents of the command line IMMEDIATELY is converted to "se Greetings"
and appears to be executed as I get the message about a missing
parameter. If instead I type "se/g", wait a moment then type the
letter "r" everything works properly.
 I must add a new wrinkle: As I write this message in a composition
window of my mail portion of my Navigator Prowser (with Xywin NOT
running), the same thing occurs. It appears that it is the fast typing
of the string "/gr" that is the culprit typing the letters "gr" without
the slash (or with some other leading xharacter) has no problem. I've
looked at the keyboard file, the savegets and the spelling dictionary
(all three in Xywin). Does anyone know of anything special use of the
slash in windows?
 Does anyone out there have any idea hat might be happening and/or
where I might look.
Thanks
Dick Giering