Re: batch files/dos commands from Xy4

 hadn't heard of TIME /T.  In NT it reports the time without
prompting for a new time.  I don't see it documented anywhere.  In
OS/2 the switch is /N.  (You don't say what OS you're running.)

Carl, I'm on XP Home and a Dell Inspiron 8100. My documentation for time /t, such as it is, is the result of typing in time /? at the command prompt, resulting in:
"Displays or sets the system time.

TIME [/T | time]

Type TIME with no parameters to display the current time setting
for a new one.  Press ENTER to keep the same time.

If Command Extensions are enabled the TIME command supports
the /T switch which tells the command to just output the
current time, without prompting for a new time."

I guess I must have command extensions enabled, whatever they are, since this works.

 Let's try VER.  The command is NOW3.  Does
it work?

Thanks very much for the programs, which I will try forthwith. But I can report immediately that just running VER in DOS definitely does, as you suspected it would, refresh the DOS subsystem into the right time. I wonder if this is an XP problem, or a Dell problem, or what?