Re: Pipe dreams

In which R. Tenenbaum, seizing upon this statement of
Leslie Bialler:

> >. . . But the Tech Group would probably sue your butt off if you tried
> >to do that w/o their permission, which they'd probably not grant. Can't
> >say that I I'd blame them, either.

goes on to make certain assertions, assumptions, and declarations that
provoke
further comments on the part of L. Bialler. To wit:

RT:

> I hold TTG personally responsible for most of what's wrong in the
> world.

LB:

You are _not_ charming when you're being grandiose.

AND SO FORTH:

> What's disinctively copyrightable about Xywrite? The command line?
> Hardly. The mnemonics? Arguably. The double-chevroned formatting
> markers? Probably.

I would imagine the look and feel is copyrightable. Other than that, I
could not possibly say, being neither a lawyer nor fat.

And the cost of defending oneself against a suit, even if one prevailed
in the end, would not be inconsiderable.

So I guess the would-be developer of the XyWrite emulator would have to
ask himself this question: "Do you feel lucky?"

> The secret to doing this, I believe, would be improving that which has
> been begging to be improved about *something like Xywrite* while
> retaining what makes it so good.

Unclear. You wish to create "something like XyWrite" that would contain
improvements while retaining what makes it good. That about it? If so, I
vote yea,
and without objection ask permission to move on.

> Let's take for example, the chevrons, which long ago should have been
> got rid of in favor of SGML-functional delimiters.

Really? What do you imagine would be gained by this procedure?

> To me what
> distinguishes Xy -- even more than the command line, or even its
> splendid customizability -- is the ability to edit and review in either
> expanded or regular view. SGML and its niece, HTML, are in a way
> knockoffs of Xy/Atex formatting.

A dubious statement. One might argue more profitably (although I would
prefer not to)
that SGML/HTML might well have adopted XyWrite's "format stays until
replaced by next one" system rather than the clumsier.

blahblahblahblahyaddayaddayadda

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy

that SGML does in fact require. > Maybe the thing could turn into the > premier HTML composing tool. A simple XPL routine can handle that chore. One need only replace XyWrite ≪US≫ tags and ≪MDLL≫ tags with the proper SGML tags, taking into account that each must be cancelled by an appropriate . Such a routine can be accomplished with the workmanlike string of CI's, although with time and the river flowing more elegant XPL solutions can doubtless be achieved. > Of course, what's essential for our > purposes is that it remain text-oriented. > Of course. > It should be everything like Xywrite (fast, with a comprehensive macro > language, ideally guaranteeing simple conversion from XPL). It should > be fast and it should be cross-platform (ie, Java). A nice idea. > And it should be > open source. Perhaps. > Besides, whoever made such an animal could give it away > and still make a fortune A rather paradoxical assertion. > -- might stand a chance of bringing us back to > ascii where we belong. And make the world a better place. > I assume this is meant as hyperbole. -- Leslie Bialler Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx