Re: ot- buying a new name brand pc with xp

Printer connection--if the old one is parallel, see if there's a parallel port on the new computer, not just USB, or prepare to replace the printer, which can be done for under $100.

Why not use a parallel port to USB adapter for a few bucks?

Or add a parallel card for, probably, pennies?
My advice is always to buy the cheapest Dell Inspiron laptop with 17" screen and 3-year onsite warranty. With e-coupons that you can find online this can probably just be done for under $1G. I must admit that I don't mind Vista on a modern machine, but, obviously, XP would run much faster. However, as Robert pointed out earlier, there seem to be some advantages to running XyWrite under Vista . . . .