Re: available memory

Reply to note from flash  Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:42:38
+0100

Flash:

> Xy4 evidently starts using overflow memory sooner than Xy3 does
> because the Xy4 program itself is using more RAM for additional
> functions which Xy3 does not have.

Not so. When I launch Xy4 (v4.018), Editor occupies about 180K of
RAM. When I launch Xy3 (v3.58B), Editor occupies about 240K of RAM.
Yet Xy4 starts paging right away. The difference is in the memory
management paradigm. Xy4's is more dynamic, automatically swapping
out unused components of Editor and parts of open files, and
swapping them back in when they become needed. As you note, there
is a slight speed penalty as a result of more frequent writing and
reading of overflow files, but with today's fast, memory-caching
hard drives, it's negligible, a small price to pay for near-total
freedom from out-of-memory woes. You CAll your files, you edit
them, you SAve them; Xy takes care of the rest.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx