Re: XYWin hogs CPU

Dear Harry
I have tried out Tame (both 5 and 6). As far as XyWin is concerned, it makes no difference to the CPU hogging behaviour 'out of the box'. I don't know if there are any settings I could tweak to achieve the desired result, but it is not clear that there are.
With XY4, it appears in principle to offer the possibility of much
better screen appearance, as you have suggested. However I have found a
number of worrying artefacts that would make it currently unusable for
me unless they could be fixed.  Using Tame 5 in the pseude-full screen
mode (6 was a disaster with my setup) Alt-Tabbing between different
applications seemed to hop to something invisible (the Tame console I
assume) before actually going anywhere. I found this extremely
irritating. I would also want to be able to get rid of the mouse
pointer in full screen but I cannot make that stick. Supposedly one can
change on-screen colours and attributes but I can't make any of those
work either. So while the idea looks excellent, I find the current
realisation extremely flaky. Documentation is not very helpful either
and the author does not appear to respond to emails.

Paul

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Yes and Yes.

The cure is TameDOS.
www.tamedos.com

It's cheap, and there's a free trial.
Xy under Tame is a much enhanced experience--it allows a lot of screen improving (as well as CPU saving).

See the Archives for much discussion of Tame.
I don't specifically recall this being raised before with regard to XYWin but I have recently noticed, having just built a quiet PC, that when I run XYWin it acts like a CPU stress test, running pushing the CPU to 100% and pushing up the CPU temperature which sets my fans running faster so that eventually I can hear them again. Is this normal with XYWin and if so, is there any cure?

Paul Breeze

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx