Re: XyWrite and SGML

> I am mystified too that we never hear a peep from TG, since there are
> a couple of subscribers there. Are we being snubbed because we aren't
> big enough? That raises an interesting question. How many people
> read the XyWrite postings on Compuserve? I have no idea whether there
> is some way to find out, since I don't use online services at all.
> But are there really more than our roughly a hundred who use it regularly?
> > -- > Nathan Sivin

Nathan,

I continue to monitor the Compuserve PCAPPS forum and must report
that TTG presence there has been every bit as sparse as on this
list. Since Jeff left (and for a month or so previous) TTG
sales and management has been absent from there, as well as
here. As for number of subscribers, its impossible to gauge,
but I do not expect that an posting on CIS will reach many more
xywrite users than a posting here. We could try a poll, if you
want.

Its obvious from private responses from Brit or Kevin at TTG tech
support that they do indeed monitor both this list and the CIS
forum. When a technical question arises they feel qualified and
authorized to answer they generally respond with a private note,
rather than to the public list.  (I've gotten several courteous
and helpful responses privately to questions posed on this
list). Why this is I do not know. The advice and information
they give are generally of more than individual interest. If
they posted responses publically, to the list as a whole, others
could benefit, and others would begin to appreciate that they
are present, capable, and willing to help. It may just be a
matter of their being unfamiliar with how the CIS/internet
gateway works.

As for product development and policy information, obviously they
are not in a position to make comments. Jeff Ramsay
occasionally chimed in on CIS (and even here), as did Ken Frank.
 Why that no longer happens I am not at all sure. We must
assume that customer relations with the xywrite user base is not
a high priority concern right now. What is, make for
interesting speculation.

My hope is that there are new products being readied. XYos/2,
Orbiswin and ibidwin and that Ken Frank & Co. don't want to get
trapped in the expectation/disappointment game as to release
schedules. They are holding back with a grand announcement and
customer relations blitz soon in the offing.

I can hope, can't I?
Allan Needell--Internet: aneedell@xxxxxxxx; CCserve: 71461,1115