From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Harry Binswanger
Sent: Wednesday, 9 October 2002 5:44 a.m.
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Dumb question re back up

Since we're all talking backup...

I'm thinking of upgrading from win98 to win98SE. (My win98 suddenly
locks
in to 100% processor usage and slows down--it needs at least a
re-install
and it's time for me to reach 1999-level technology.).

Which brings up the issue of preventing re-installing all my apps. I
backup
by copying every file from my Boot-and-Main-Drive (C:) over to a
physically
separate drive (D:). I use Xcopy32, from within Windows, and it copies
everything except the swap file and a few other in-use files.

My dumb question is: since all the files for all my apps are on D:, is
there any way to scrub C:, install say win98SE, then do some kind of
bulk
copying back from D: to re-install the apps? I guess I'm dreaming. I was

thinking about things like copying D:\Windows\System to
C:\Windows\System. But I take it that the idiocy of Windows includes
NOT
separating app-files from OS-files in any way that would allow this kind
of
restoring of apps.

Or is there hope?

Harry Binswanger