From: Jay McNally
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: XPL early programming decision - whether to RC loop or custom
.kbd

> The program you are describing is over my head. I have not done much in
the way of xpl in probably 6-7 yrs and have forgotten a lot of it.

> I think the old help screens are the kind of thing you might be
describing, or which would help. With those screens, you enter a new level
of tier within the program that does not accept any keystrokes except those
which are being prompted for... as in a numerical menu, 1-10, or a list.

> That kind of thing is easy to write ... you create an array and tell the
computer to go to another loop if a key outside the array is pressed.

> There are, as I recall it, as many as 7 or 9 separate kinds of help
screens. Some are very, very clever. And each is tailored for a specific
kind of presentation of data.
> And naturally, you can adapt them to any kind of project in Xy.
>
> I tinkered with them back in about '91 or 92 and found them full of
opportunity, but never took it beyond minor tinkering.

> I have never used U2, so it is possible that that program has replaced all
the other Xy stuff.

> I think the experts are Carl D. and R. Holmgren. They coudl probably
recognize what you planning and have pretty good options for it.

> One thing that amazes me here -- I've been on this list for only about 2
months -- is that just about every problem I've encountered, the others on
the list have solved.