RE: Is XY-Write a word-processor or a text editor?

On 14 Dec 00, at 22:09, Yo Intl. wrote:

> At 08:32 AM 12/14/00 +0200, Steve Hayes wrote:
> >Yes, XyWrite 3.52 was the best, but I use 3.56 because it has the British
> > spelling dictionary.
>
> This I don't understand. Can't you load any old spelling dictionary in
> *any* XYwrite? Since when are .spl files depent on the executable?

No, the British spelling dictionary was only introduced in version 3.56, and
would not work with earlier versions. But 3.56 also had the automatic replace
disabled.

> You are using the castrated version?? Good grief. But even in that case,
> you should be able to use autoexpansion but simply adding whatever key
> they forced to use for expansion to the delimiters in the keyboard.
> Basically, XYwrite is too flexible *by design* to be limited in such a
> hamfisted fashion. Or what?

It's the version I have.

I may have a copy of the older executable, but that would force the use of
the American spelling dictionary. The Brit one has some errors, though -
skeptic and parallell being the most noticable.

Keep well,

Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@xxxxxxxx
  Web: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/steve.htm