Re: Xywrite antiques

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Oun Kwon wrote:

> Re: NB key assignments.
>
> Because of its immaturity (despite much better product compared to Xy-win)
> as a windows word processor, I have not succeeded using NB-win as my tool
> (reluctantly using Microsoft Word). When I hear on your e-mail telling me
> that Control-(alphanumerals) are hard-wired in NB, this is a shock to me.

This is inaccurate. Nearly all NBWin keys (including most Control table
combinations--I've done many) can be user-customized, and any functions
already assigned to those keys moved to some other table/keys if you
find you need them. One major complaint raised is that some very few
Windows shortcut keys are still hard-wired. Ctrl-P (print) and Ctrl-F
(File menu) are the most egregious. I don't know how close the NB
programmers are to freeing up those keys for user definition, but I
suspect it's still not high on the list. Look at the Help files for some
instruction on this, but if you already customize your Xy keyboard, you
know how to do this anyway.

> Advantage I need over MS Word:
>
> 1. command line functions including file management (e.g. del, copy, ...
> etc.)
> 2. freedom from user cutomizable keyboard file.
> 3. code view.

1. NBWin has this, but still restricts command-line typing of long file
  names, a large annoyance. You just have to work with the file menu
  till this is solved.

2. See above for comments on customizing the keyboard file.

3. You have code view with Shift-F8, and return to graphic view with
  Shift-F5.

Dorothy

Dorothy Day
day@xxxxxxxx