Re: converting Xywrite text files en masse to Word?

"EBERLE, JIM" wrote:

> Tim: Have you had to employ extraordinary measures to make Xy4DOS work on
> WinXP? Everything I've heard and read suggests a very hostile, if not
> forbidding, environment for DOS programs. I tried loading Xy4DOS on Win NT
> and the display was unusable and the key assignments didn't work. Any
> similar problems with XP? I'm asking because our ISD people are itching to
> "improve" on the Win 95 operating system on my computer at work.
>
> Jim Eberle

I spend about 90 % of my computing time in the OS/2 environment, but also
sometimes boot NT for access to certain things that require the Win
environment. (This situation may well change with the ongoing improvements to
the ODIN add-on for OS/2 & ECS, not to mention the forthcoming and truly
amazing virtualized most-any-OS-within-most-any-other-OS software from Innotek
/ Connectix. Dumping *real* Win altogether starts to become truly
imaginable.) In any case, I've had Xy4DOS running o.k. in NT for some time
now. Some tweaks may have been necessary, but I'd have to revisit that
subject. Win-2000 is different enough to be a different situation entirely.
I had miserable luck getting it running on a W2K'd laptop. Of course, there
are also some hardware issues, as has been discussed here. It matters whether
you're using a desktop or a laptop system, a CRT or a panel screen. NT on a
desktop w/ CRT shouldn't be a problem, though.

Jordan