Re: Incredible Disappearing Speedos

{Continued from previous msg.}

But before picking up where I left off, let me mention that I tried your
suggested test. With UO setting intact, Image mode not specified, and using
the HP2 driver, I could scale Swiss to some sample sizes. This is quite
contrary to the results I remembered. (Can't load HP-4 in this manner, I
think, because there are error msg.s.) But I don't see all of the fonts either
(!), and I don't think there is a choice of Symbol Sets, but I'll have to
double check that point.

O.K., now trying to load-over PRN files. Invoked XY4 with the HP-2 setup (see
prior msg.), then loaded HP-4. Result: 47 fonts show up in Type Dir., some
marked "*" and some "". Re-check of VA$ values shows IM=0, UO=0. And it's
back to a very familiar problem. RMs go off into the Twilight Zone,
*everything* prints as Courier 10. I have a strong recollection of having seen
this "mixed" TypeFace Dir. in the past, but being able to scale and print the
fonts without much trouble. Can't duplicate the conditions now, though.

It is possible to go the other way, invoking the HP-4 setup and then loading
HP-2 over that. Now, VA$ shows IM=0, UO=1. Only the shorter set of fonts
appear in the Type Dir.

With UO=0,IM=1, the available fonts scale, no RM problem, but char. width of
adjacent letters n.s.g.

Any other combos I should try? I want to be able to see all 50 Speedo fonts
that I've installed (in TypeFace Dir.), to scale them, have the choice of
Symbol Set, and have them print the way one would expect. Don't think this is
asking too much. Don't think I should have to upgrade to the HP-4 (although
maybe I will, if this gets to be too much of a pain in the rear).

I've put some time into this, and it is annoying, so I hope you'll go over this
point by point and give me a detailed response. Thanks in advance.