Dos for Xywrite

 Dos dead?

 No, it lives in many forms.

 We all have DOS (2.11, 3.3 through 6 and 7) and can 'share'.

 A number of manufacturers and their suppliers are dumping (selling
cheap) their OEM packets of DOS and Win diskettes at sales, swap
meets and so on hier in Canada and I presume other places.
 You get a sealed MS envelope with the set of disks to start and
install a full 6.22, in the case of the envelope before me.

 Dos is a part of the installation of OS/2, much a better solution
unless you must use some windows 95 operations.

 Linux has DOSEMU for dos emulation. And you could make emacs
do everything that XY can do, though the complete file set is much
much bigger.

 And at http://www.calderathin.com/products/drdos/ you have
a current, developed and developing DOS that has been substantially
enhanced.
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
  Caldera Press Coverage -New Life For DOS * * * *
     -  New Life For DOS Original article on AnchorDesk at ZDNet -
     June 5, 1998 What if I told you that I knew what would be the
     most talked-about operating system in 1999? What if I told you
     it would be DOS? The same aging operating system that preceded
     Windows. That's been all but abandoned by Microsoft ...
     http://www.caldera.com/lawsuit/presscoverage/zdnetdos.html
     10/29/98, 10443 byte

----------
 DR-DOS Resources

  Caldera DR-DOS is a complete DOS operating system. Consequently you
  can use all the available DOS development tools for the platform,
  allowing creation of software that will run on Caldera DR-DOS, MS-DOS,
  and DR DOS versions. In addition Caldera DR-DOS provides extensions
  that allow your application greater flexibility. Click on the links
  below to view the associated documentation in HTML format.

  Multitasking
     Caldera DR-DOS provides a full multitasking environment on
     Pentium, 486, or 386-based hardware. This is built into the
     memory management extensions provided in the operating system,
     and is accessible for standard un-aware applications when using
     the Task manager (Taskmgr) utility. Programs however can have
     direct access to create separate threads etc, via the extended
     Application Programming Interface.

  DPMS
     A memory manager that even works on 286-based PCs, allowing
     device drivers to reside outside of the regular DOS application
     area. Drivers or Terminate and stay-resident applications can
     thereby avoid using valuable application memory.

  ROMing tools
     Caldera DR-DOS is the ideal embedded DOS system, designed for
     straight forward out-of-the-box romming into ROM or Flash ROM.
     Caldera make these tools and associated documentation available
     in the DR-System Builder Kit (DR-SBK).

------- A non-company site that might prove interesting

File that you are currently viewing

  Linkname: OpenDOS Unofficial Home Page
  Owner(s): mailto:grendel@xxxxxxxx
    size: 50 lines

Link that you currently have selected

  Linkname: OpenDOS Unofficial FAQ
  Filename: http://www.deltasoft.com/faq0000.html

---------- and for those like me who dislike itsy-bitsy links..

  Linkname: Plain text version
  Filename: http://www.deltasoft.com/faq.html

============

	How to get Dos 'free'. ( I wonder if they ever try to
    collect, or is this "Netscape billing" and they never collect?

	For those on restricted RAM diets, they include many links to
	do Email / Web-browsing / Viewing all in DOS without MS-Windows
	programs.  Dsay

from their web-page
  3. Download the software. (3 MB Lite version without Personal NetWare
  (peer-to-peer networking) or 6 MB with Personal NetWare - ZIP files).
  There is also the opportunity to download disk images to create
  diskette installation sets and also to download individual disk
  images.

  4. Purchase the software once you have completed your evaluation. For
  small quantity purchases please visit our purchasing Caldera Products.
  page. Embedded OEMs can find answers to technical, product or sales
  questions on the DR-DOS OEM information page.

  Before downloading any software, please complete the registration form
  below. Caldera will consider the information that you provide as
  personal and will not sell or distribute it to outside companies. This
  information helps us to keep track of downloads and to keep you
  updated of futuredevelopments.

  These paragraphs and the registration page is at the
  Caldera Thin Client page, not the main www.caldera.com which
  will show you a link to the separate page/company
  handling DR-DOS.

  Linkname: Caldera DR-DOS Free Tryout
  St  URL: http://www.calderathin.com/products/drdos/tryout.html  _____
  Owner(s): None
    size: 95 lines
    mode: forms mode (yeah, but acessible from Lynx)

Link that you currently have selected

  Linkname: Overview
  Filename: http://www.calderathin.com/products/drdos/overview.html