Re: Just wondering

Reply to note from Carlo Caballero
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:01:25 -0700 (MST)

-> Out of curiosity, what do you DO with even nine windows of text
-> open at a time? I've never opened more than four at once in my
-> writing, and three is more typical. I'm interested to know how
-> others use a capacity in XyWrite that I've always thought a bit
-> "over the top."

To-do list, address book and calendar are nearly always in use, and
directory listings can easily eat up another 2 or 3 windows. That
leaves a workspace of only 3 or 4 windows; I don't think a day
passes without at least one instance of "No more windows are
available". My no-brainer solution is to have a little routine that
cycles through all open windows and zaps directory listings. That
way, I avoid having to triage my open files.

Like others on the list, I launch additional instances of XyWrite to
handle larger projects or background tasks. Recently, for example,
I had to prepare a post-trial brief that required analyzing some 10
days of trial testimony alongside the relevant case law and
statutes. I routinely opened two, sometimes three, XyWrite
sessions. One was devoted exclusively to trial transcripts: Since
each day's transcript occupied a separate file, I had a window (so
to speak) on 9 days' worth of testimony, virtually the entire trial.
The "front 9" were used variously to display legal precedents and
other briefs filed earlier in the same case and, of course, to edit
the work in progress.

Over the top, you say? Not at all. It's like writing a research
paper in a cramped library cubicle that accommodates no more than 8
books and a sheaf of foolscap. Soon enough, books and papers begin
piling up on the window sills and the floor. For projects like
that, you can never have too many windows.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/