Re: 98 again

This problem comes up in Windows 98.4.10 1998 using 48MB RAM when I'm in
Netscape Navigator 4.0.8 or Eudora 3.0.1 and I switch to XyWrite III Plus
3.55 using Alt-Tab, or by clicking on XyWrite at the bottom of the taskbar.

I'll be working in XyWrite for a while, typically to clean up the
extraneous carrier returns from a file that I've downloaded from Medline or
the New York Times, and suddenly I can't get any keyboard response in
XyWrite any more, and usually I can't switch to other programs with Alt-tab.

If I wait a while, I can get my keyboard response back, or I can go to
other programs, but in all programs, and in Windows, every key seems to act
like an alt-key or Windows function-key or something. For example, if I
type "s" I get the startup menu as if it were alt-s on the desktop, and if
I type "e" I launch Windows Explorer as if it were Windows function-e. The
mouse works fine.

I can't get the normal keyboard back until I reboot Windows, which
disconnects me from the Internet.

Of course I'd like to have a solution, but I'm willing to accept an
explanation, or a procedure for narrowing the problem down. But I'm afraid
that the explanation is lost in the black box of Windows 98.

Norman

At 09:18 AM 3/31/01 -0500, Nathan Sivin wrote:

>Not clear what Norman means by "swap to XY." If he means normal
>Windows multi-tasking (minimizing Netscape and starting or
>maximizing XY), I have never had a problem with XY freezing with
>either 95 or 98SE. There is also the question of what version of
>Netscape. I use 4.76. The consensus in the newsgroups is that v.
>6, including the latest incarnation, is a dead loss, even for
>some of the things Netscape is conventionally supposed to do. My
>brief experience with it bears that judgment out.
>
>I join my voice to those of many colleagues in earnestly
>beseeching everyone who raises problems like this to be specific
>about OS, versions and, if relevant, computer type and setup.
>
>Cheers,
>--
>Nathan Sivin
>History and Sociology of Science