Re: Memory problems maybe solved

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Fri, 27 Mar
2015 13:42:11 -0400

> I changed all my subroutines to goto's and it seems like I have
> no more memory problems.

That's interesting, Harry. The biggest cause of out-of-mem is program
size, but your experience indicates that there may be additional
memory overhead associated with SUbs. Pushing a procedure that's
going to be called many times down into a SUb can speed up program
execution -- perhaps at the cost of greater memory usage(?). I could
see where the cost might outweigh the benefit if a program has so
many SUbs that it breaks the memory bank -- akin to "the operation
was a success, but the patient died".

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx