Re: Jumbo U2 update

Reply to note from Bill Troop  Thu, 05 Apr 2018
19:42:53 +0000

Bill,

> Pelikan 120 w oblique italic nib ground by me and their Schwartz
> Spezial ink which is no longer made. Anyone know of a replacement
> for this amazing ink?

Not to wander too far off-topic (though we've not exactly been burning
up bandwidth on XyWrite lately)...

Is yours a vintage 120 or the 2016 Pelikan re-issue? If the latter,
then Noodler's Black (the original, "standard" Black) is worth trying.
It's "bulletproof" (indelible, fraud-proof), and works well on all
kinds of paper. Using Noodler's bulletproof ink in vintage pens is
somewhat controversial -- one reputable Pelikan dealer voids his
warranty if you put Noodler's in the pen -- but, FWIW, I and many
others have used it in all sorts of pens since 2004 with no adverse
effects. Beyond that, Aurora Black is well-known as a deep, rich black.
I am also very partial to Diamine inks, an English brand that offers a
dazzling array of colors, including many blues (the only color other
than black that I really care about ... except, maybe, red ...).

Needless to say, Pelikan's standard black offering, Brilliant Black,
would probably be satisfactory. (What so special about Spezial? I never
heard of it.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx