Re: Another question

On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Nathan Sivin wrote:

> For Jim Besser:
> > Windows devotees will no doubt disagree with me, but why make life
> complicated? Shelling to DOS will be instantaneous with your new
> computer, and using QEMM, will leave you with ca. 624KB of RAM free. > > Why
interpose megabytes of extra stuff between you and your program if > you don't
need it? If you are devoted to the idea that more technology > is better, go
to it. If you believe in the minimal means to a given

I'm devoted only to the idea that faster is better; that's why I asked the
question, and your answer is very helpful. My only goal in switching to OS/2
would be to speed up accessing my phone database and dialer. Based on what I've
seen of Windows applications, multitasking in that kind of environment adds
delays; if shelling out from XY in DOS will be instantaneous, as you said,
that's all I need.
  I guess the sensible thing would be to buy the computer, configure it with
DOS and 386-Max, which I use now, and a good cache, and see how fast XyWrite
operates. If it's not a significant improvement, I can think more seriously
about multitasking.

BUt I'm with you: I have no desire to complicate my life with features I don't
need.

jb