Re: accented letters

Caballero wrote:
I like the way the accented characters have drawn out a few hitherto
silent voices on this list!
Indeed. And I am delighted to see that XyWrite is still being used in such exalted places as the UN. Also grateful to M. d'Or for reminding me of the term tréma, which I had forgotten (if indeed I ever learned it). And for alerting us to the fact that political correctness has come to France, and waiters are now--wait a minute! monsieurs? not messieurs? Comment?
Is it possible that IBM was actually following an international keyboard layout in the pre-computing
era by putting the tréma on the key for double quotation marks...?
I suspect it was simply the similarity of appearance (esp. when quotes were the old-style, typewriter straight quotes, or primes, not "smart" quotes, or nines and sixes, as they were called in typography).
... But anything is better (from the typist's perspective) than the
pedal-tone ALT plus a three-note numeric arpeggio in the right hand!
Amen. (And I _love_ the trope.) I am impressed by M. W. Poirier's ability to remember numbers, but could never match it. And the problem with numeric codes is that they differ from program to program, and I have to use WordPerfect, dBase, and 1-2-3 too. The US International Keyboard means one set of keystrokes, and a similar set in XyWrite.

Patricia M. Godfrey