From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
jaymcnally@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 10:42 AM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

I just got a pop-up dialog-box notice from Microsoft encouraging me to install the "Windows XP
Service Pack 2 (SP2)" and warning
that things could go seriously haywire even if I do install it. Therefore, I should "back up
critical information" in the computer.
I have a new Compaq, about 3 mo. old, replacing my six-yr old Windows 98.

What's the deal on this? I've heard mixed reports on the new Microsoft security efforts in casual
conversations from uses of
various levels of expertise.

Do users on this list recommend doing the Microsoft security thing?

I use Zone Alarm Pro as a firewall, Lava Soft's spyware program, and another program called
"Clean-Up."

Jay