Re: Can keyboard assignment use Windows key?

Reply to note from "Martin J. Osborne"
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:58:35 -0500

Martin:

By all means find your comfort level before trying any of these
mods.

> The registry change causes both the grave/tilde key and the Win
> key to return key code 41. I understand how that affects
> XyWrite. And outside XyWrite, the grave/tilde will behave the
> same as before. What about the Win key outside XyWrite? Do
> other programs/Windows not care what key code it returns? Will
> Win+tab (in Windows 7) works as it does now (which I kind of
> like, unlike most other "features" of Windows)?

After the change, the Win key will act like the grave/tilde key in
all programs. The Win+ combinations will no longer be
available. If your keyboard has two Win keys, a solution would be to
modify only one of them. If it has only Win key, then you have a
decision to make. One possibility would be not to modify the Win key
at all, and use the grave/tilde as the shifting key within XyWrite
only -- in other words, the sole mod would be to the Xy KBD file.
You'd have to reassign all shifted versions of the grave/tilde key,
but you'd still have a working Win key within and without XyWrite.

All of these changes are reversible, of course, so it's easy enough
to try them on for size -- if and when you're ready.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx