Re: Xy under unix?

mike shupp wrote:

> Evidently, DOSEMU uses some things built into the Linux kernel, which
> are lacking in BSD or other Unices.  You might look into Bochs -- it tends
> to monopolize the system, which is a pain, but apparently it does a
> reasonable job of emulating plain-vanilla PCs (Sound Blaster, VGA, etc.) at
> about 1% the speed of your real system.
>
> Close your eyes, and the experience will be like 1985 all over again.

This is likely not your only alternative, provided cost is less of an object.
There is a line of emulation products called VPC (for Virtual PC), developed by
(I think) Connectix. For approx. $200., you can emulate one other OS of your
choosing from inside of your regular OS, which will give you access to any
app.s you may have for the "guest" OS. On the right hardware, the speed
penalty for this emulation overhead is relatively minor. In order to do this,
it is strongly recommended that you have at least a P-III / 800 mhz. cpu and
512 M. of RAM. I've seen a couple demos of this (on better hardware than
that), running a rather demanding graphics editing program, and the response
was pretty snappy.

Jordan