Re: Re Portable XyWrite

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:43:41 -0400

> Let me reread
> your original docs: I had thought the setup created by
> PortableXy4.exe WAS the one you could carry about on a flash
> drive, but you say Xy4net.exe can be used that way too?

Yes, they both could be carried about on a memory key. Here's
the difference:

PortableXy4.exe spills a full directory (+ subdirs) of Xy4 into
a directory that you specify (and is created if doesn't exist)
when you run PortableXy4.exe. This puts a whole installation in
a given directory. Only that. Nothing more. You have a latent
installation which will run. You must manually start XyWrite.
So, yes, you could spill PortableXy4.exe into a directory on a
memory key, and carry it around with you. It will always be
there. Or you could just take PortableXy4.exe itself around on
the key, and spill onto a guest machine hard disk.

Xy4Net.exe installs XyWrite in a temporary directory and
*launches* it. When you QUIT XyWrite, the entire installation
disappears, including the temporary directory. No trace is left
behind (except for Xy4Net.exe itself, if you for example are
carrying it around on a memory key). This is true portability.
It doesn't matter whether you only have dial-up at home. You
travel, don't you? You visit friends or businesses? And you
have an ISP, which has given you dedicated space on one of their
servers, no? All you have to do is go to one of these Timbuktu
machines, point a browser at Xy4Net.exe on your ISP's server,
"Open" it -- and boom: XyWrite launches on that foreign machine.
When you QUIT, XyWrite vanishes -- but if you create and/or edit
files in any directory *except* XyWrite's own directory, the
files and changes remain.

PortableXy4.exe is the core file within Xy4Net. So you must
create PortableXy4 first (as is true also of the BartPE plugin).
Xy4Net then picks up the ball and takes everything one or two
steps further. Personally, I just use Xy4Net. It's handy. I'm
installing the OED on my brother-in-law's machine, he's
clueless, so I open Xy4Net off the Net, use it to configure
files, install his new program -- and walk away, leaving behind
a clean machine.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx