Re: Typeface Follies, Part Ix

Well, I've looked at the evidence, and I'll have to go with Colonel Mustard in
the Conservatory with the lead pipe.  First off, I would highly recommend
keeping the IM set to 0 as you have in most cases. This feature used with a
laser will only slow the process. On the other hand, you should have the UO
setting set to 1, to allow the use of soft fonts.  Let's concentrate, then, on
the three situations where those settings are correctly set.
  Ver of XY4 Printer  UO  IM  #of Fonts Shown

1) 4.015   HP-2   1  0   34 2) 4.016   HP-2   1  0   3
3) 4.016   HP-4   1  0   47

In the first scenario, I believe you should have access to your soft fonts. It
seems as though you have 31 soft fonts, plus the 3 XyWrite fonts: Courier10,
Dutch, and Swiss. I would use this setup for version 4.015. In the second
scenario, the fonts that appear are probably the default HP-2 fonts, Line
Printer, Courier and Times. I would suggest commenting out the UO setting in
the driver (or use your Modified HP-2 driver) to have access to the XyWrite and
Soft fonts. In the third scenario you are probably seeing the 31 soft fonts,
plus the 13 internal HP4 fonts, plus the 3 XyWrite fonts. Because of the
difference between the PCL 5 code of the HP4 and the PCL 3 code of the HP2, it
will be difficult to predict how, or if most of these fonts will print. This
printer driver should not be used. I don't know if you need to upgrade to the
HP4 driver at this time unless you want better printer resolution, faster
output, or a specific font. We should be able to get the HP-2 (modified) to
work with both 4.015 and 4.016. I hopes this sheds some light on the font
matter. Please let me know how the print tests run. Best wishes for a happy
new year. Kevin Duval