Xy under WIN on a laptop, redux {was Re: WinXP/ME}

Timothy Olson wrote:

> I'm using XyDos 4.018 in Windows ME and have not noticed anything untoward. I should probably also mention that I don't use Xy as much as I used to, so I haven't put it through the full paces. But everything I *have* done works as it should. Running on a Sony Vaio laptop with a P3.

> >I'd also be interested in whether anyone has had trouble running XyDOS 4.018
> >in Windows ME or XP.
>
> Me too. I just ordered a new Dell laptop -- they're almost
> being given away on the website -- and it comes with
> XP. I hope I don't have any problems with XyWrite!
> I'm a little concerned in that I ordered the 1600x1200
> screen. Will I able to get the DOS box type large
> enough?

I know this has come up several times here, and I will go back through the message base to research
what was said. Last week, I had occasion to try getting Xy3+ running for someone, under Win-2K
Professional on a Thinkpad. Couldn't get past a strictly ** 1/2 ** page display, and
even that with squashed aspect ratio and ugly character display. O.K., that's the display issue,
and I recall some workarounds were discussed here. (Hope I don't have to track down the UltraVision
utility, assuming it is still available somewhere. I know the developer used to have a
Forum sub-section on Compuserve.) More distressing than that was the fact that the keyboard was
non-functional, starting with basic cursor movement. Nothing seemed to move anywhere, even when
trying to type plain alpha characters. The only way to get cursor movement was via
ALT+arrow key, which did move a space in the indicated direction.

I deactivated just about every line in STARTUP.INT that might have been relevant, which had no
effect. More than likely, using Xy4DOS would have made no difference. My suspicions are leaning
towards some big KBD file issues. But I didn't have time to troubleshoot it this trip --
maybe next month when I get back there again. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jordan