RE: Installing Xy under 32-bit Win; Manual; ANSI

>I have copies of clean, out-of-the-box installations of both that I can
either send you as
>attachments (but that might be risky, given my s-l-o-w phone lines) or on
>CD if you give me a snail-mail address.
>Carl and Robert: would you want to put these on your site? Or might we
>get in trouble with people without licenses using them?

I'm planning on putting the Xy3 manual I'm "digitizing" on some web-space
I've got, and I'm also thinking of offering the Xy 3 & 4 programs...but I'm
willing to back-off on the programs if the consensus of the group is that it
shouldn't be done. As I've said before, I feel 3 and 4 are orphans and I
don't like the idea that such a great program will be confined to only the
small circle of current Xy owners. Also, I'm not planning on "advertising"
to the entire world...it's still mostly this circle that'll be benefiting by
the access.
That said...I'd love to add XyWin to the available programs, Patricia. I
don't know much about it, but it sounds like it falls into the orphan
category too.

> As for the manual, I have the XY3 manual, which was in looseleaf format,
>and a sheet-fed scanner, which means I scanning it in would not be
>probhibitively difficult (as it is when you have to hop up to position a
>sheet with a flatbed scanner). Don't know how good my scanning and OCR SW
>are, though (I just got it), and it will absolutely need to be proofread:
>the best OCR SW has a 1 char in 100 error rate.
>Patricia

Using my flatbed scanner and clunky (not to mention fairly inaccurate) OCR
app, progress is slow on the Xy3 manual. Patricia, if you're sure it
wouldn't be too much work to sheet-feed the pages into a file(s), I wouldn't
dream of turning down such an offer. I'm using an industrial-strength
composition engine (Xyvision...absolutely NOT for the faint-hearted) and it
requires a fair amount of coding. But without the scanning it might only
take a couple of weeks.
By the way...if I've got the time today, I'll send a sample PDF to yous
guys...about 3 or 4 pages, I think.

-Brian Henderson

brian.henderson@xxxxxxxx
brian-henderson@xxxxxxxx