Re: Dumb question re back up

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Tue, 08 Oct 2002
17:18:16 -0800

> I think it is possible that an image can flunk inspection by Image
> Explorer, yet still work at restore time.

Hah! Interesting. But if PowerQuest's own image reading tool can't open the
image created by DriveImage (and I am not the only person to spot this
anomaly), then how pray can you rely on it? This is *after* DriveImage has
verified the integrity of the image as A-OK at the DOS level! Maybe it's just
me, or my machine, whaddoIknow...

I feel good about XCOPY, and backups residing OFF the hard disk, on CDs. At
any time, I can do a COMPare of CD and HD, to reconfirm that my hindquarters
are covered. I also feel good about copyleft software, the spirit and ideology
behind it, and I find it amusing that, although it is generally command-line
driven and thus nearly impenetrable for button-pushers, it also -- more often
than not -- happens to be the best quality software available. NOTHING
currently out there does the job, or has the extraordinary versatility, of
CDRECORD or CDRDAO (which latter, in particular, the copyright people truly
wish did not exist -- but there's nothing they can do about it -- the cat is
out of the bag).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx