insufficient memory msg

Having seen some exchanges about problems in reloading Xywrite after a disk
disaster without disabling CD-ROM, I wonder if that could be my problem.
After an HD crash I reloaded everything from tape backup. I have a small
hard drive c, a 2.1 gb HD d, and a partitioned section of a larger HD
labeled e (f is the CD). The computer is an HP minitower running at 75
mHz, with 16 megs of RAM and ample virtual memory on drive e.

Within Windoze 95, I use Xydos 3.5 and 4.017, and am pretty familiar with
Xy, having used it since 2.5 in 1985, though I know virtually nothing about
programming.

Now I can work pretty well generally, including sorting and all editorial
work in general -- except for spelling. My startup.int and settings.dfl
(in 4.017) are OK. But whenever I try to spell-check anything -- even a
word, as well as a whole document, I get a msg of  msg.

Anybody know what I am doing/have done wrong?

Thanks for any help.
                Bruce Felknor