Re: DOS printers

They no longer manufacture the HP2100, and the HP 2200 doesn't support DOS.
Aren't these two different things? The printer doesn't have to "support"
DOS. I think you can use the old WP LaserJet III
drivers and they'll work with just about any HP printer on the market now
-- or Lexmark for that matter. Or use one of the WP Postscript drivers.
They too will work fine. When you ask for "DOS" support I think you mean
primitive level DOS command line support -- not application level support.

I am talking off the top of my head, however, and would love to be corrected.
One thing: it would be crazy to buy an HP II for $100. The print quality is atrocious by today's standards. Even an HP IV is bad by today's standards. This is a 1200 dpi world.
A Postscript compatible laser printer would probably cost at least $300, I
suppose, but you would know that it would work with nearly any software
written over the past 10 years, for at least the next 10 or 15 years. Isn't
that a good bet?