Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Hi,

If you buy a full retail version, you will get both versions, 32-bit and
64-bit. Installing the 32-version may cripple your computer's power, but
will enable you to run XyWrite as you have done under XP 32-bit. The
retail version can be transferred to a new computer and even a virtual
computer (which counts as a computer for lisensing purposes) and
reactivated any number of times as needed.

My guess for the future would be that, if you postpone your computer
purchase, you will be eventually running XyWrite under some kind of
virtual environment. For this you do not need Win7, just a free
virtualization program, like Oracle VirtualBox, and Windows 2000 for
running a 32-bit environment. Xp or Win7 is just an overkill. Xywrite
needs only DOS to run, and that is one floppy, not the enormous
resources of XP or Win7 DVD behemoths. W2K is a more friendly substitute
for DOS, the minimum for making collaboration between operating systems
fluent under a virtual environment.

If you buy a new computer, running the latest 64-bit operating systems
makes sense. A multiple-core processor and hardware virtualization will
enable good legacy support for 32-bit applications and 16-bit remnants.
Keeping the middleware to a bare minimum means that there is no reason
to cling to XP in the long run.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)